I’m sure I’ll go on and on about the National Championship Game but for now I just had a couple quick thoughts and wanted to hear your opinions.
Being the major league homer that I am, I believe Auburn will win the title and I have a few reasons why I believe that:
5. I don’t think FSU is as good as advertised. Oh heck yeah, FSU is good, but could they beat Alabama? Could the beat Mizzou? Texas A&M? What about ALL of them? I don’t think so. Ohio State showed us what an easy schedule can do for you until the time comes to play the big dogs.
4. Nick Marshall has lots of time to hone his skills and work on one game plan. He’s come light years since the Washington State game. This Auburn team is barely recognizable from the team that played that night and it’s mostly due to Nick Marshall becoming more comfortable with the offense and allowing his play making skills to take over. The long break should benefit him tremendously.
3. Gus Malzahn’s attention to detail. Malzahn has impressed me with his head coaching ability just as much as his x’s and o’s. When Auburn takes the field, whether it’s after a loss to LSU or after a big win (name one), the tigers are prepared to play. They are focused and have a plan. That’s just great coaching. Jimbo Fisher is a good one in his own rights, but Malzahn has that OCD thing about him that really sets him apart.
2. Auburn’s rushing attack. I’ve never witnessed such a punishing attack week after week. People game plan for it and call it one dimensional, but no one can stop it. FSU defense can be run on, much more so than say Alabama or Missouri. If Auburn had their way with those two teams, the best FSU can hope for is to slow it down and that’s not saying a whole lot. FSU has that deep threat that can score at any time from any point on the field, but give me the punishing, demoralizing, consistent rush attack.
1. Season of Greatness. Call it luck, destiny, blessed, favored, rigged, I don’t care, but there’s no denying there’s something very special about this 2013 Auburn team that no one gave a chance. They’re playing one last game to make the biggest statement a team can make. From 0-8 in the SEC to a possible National Title. That’s beyond impressive. That’s something legendary. WDE.
For every single one of these plays, I can recall right where I was at the time. These are the biggest Auburn plays according in my mind. Feel free to add your own thoughts in the comments below.
Every Heisman has that moment when you say “that was the Heisman winning play”. This was the moment for me. Cam Newton doing what he does.
Auburn drove to within Field Goal range to try and upset the Florida Gators. As Wes Byrum’s kick sails through the uprights, the officials signal there was a time out. Urban Meyer called a time out just before the snap attempting to rattle Byrum. The freshman answered by calmly lining right back up and nailing the kick once again.
I thought about putting the actual game winning field goal kick here, but it was just a kick. Yes it was a play that sent me almost through the roof, but it wasn’t a big play in itself. The run by dyer is what got Auburn inside field goal range and from this play on, I pretty much knew that Auburn would win the National Championship.
Auburn allowed Georgia to come back from a 20 point deficit and take the lead, forcing the Tigers to put together a drive to at least get a field goal. It seemed very possible but after picking up a quick first down, Auburn started collapsing on itself. on 4th and 18 in a last ditch effort Marshall heaves the ball up and ricochets off of two defenders and lands in Ricardo Louis’ hands to set up the biggest Iron Bowl in history.
This game was early in the season but it was the last time an opponent would have the lead on Auburn the rest of the year. I thought it was going to be another typical Auburn season of 9-10 wins while they struggled with LSU, but the ’04 Tigers never looked back from here on.
Oregon vs Stanford and Oklahoma vs Baylor starts Thursday. Then we get Alabama vs LSU and Auburn vs Tennessee on Saturday. Let’s hear what you think about any or all of these games or any others for that matter. Tweet at us @IgnoRantTalk , post a comment on our Facebook page, post in the comment section below, or best of all, call the RANTLINE: 26 26 0RANT1. That’s a real phone number folks. We’ll mention your picks in the show!
***Updates will be provided as fast as they come in***
All we know at this point is the Barn cheats. Bottom line. This time, it’s with game film. Apparently they have chosen to only provide a closer-in angle of a two point conversion formation (that they have ran all season long) for Brett Bielema and the Razorbacks to study. This does NOT provide enough detail for Arkansas to properly dissect such a complex alignment. Obviously the Coach thinks the game will come down to that extra point.
That’s only half the fun though! It seems that the only violation as of yet is that Coach Bielema discussed this with the media. Ooops! It’s obviously all part of his master plan though. Bielema has been on a crusade to save the lives of college football players nationwide who are dying weekly at the hands of the overly physical hurry-up offenses run by the likes of The Barn’s infamous Gustvo Malzahn. We salute him in his attempts to do anything and everything within his power to distract the Cheatin’ Tigers and their evil coach from killing even one more innocent CFB player.
Hopefully the SEC and the NCAA will step in and help break apart this deadly combination forming on The Plains between the Evil Genius and his talented but diabolical minions. Something must be done….in a hurry.
If you like The IgnoRants on College Football Podcasts, which is a stretch, share the links on Facebook or retweet to all those friends of yours. You can listen to our podcasts on the website, or search us on itunes and subscribe, then you can download and listen while in church, during class, at a wedding, or cutting the grass. You can also call and leave a rant at 26 26 0Rant1 and it just might make it on the show. If google+ is your thing, you can also add us to your circles. Now there’s no excuse for you or your friends to be non-ignor..a..ted.
If…..IF Auburn somehow pulls out the win on Saturday, they will improve to 6-1. Given the fact they’re playing FAU the following week it’s safe to say they would go on to be 7-1. Auburn would suddenly become big time favorites over Arkansas and Tennessee. It’s easy to believe they could win both those games and then be…..9-1.
If Georgia continues playing the way they have, Auburn would then be favorites in that game as well. 10-1?
AND THEN……hosting Alabama in Jordan-Hare. This season has already turned out much better than national pundits have predicted, but could Auburn be on the brink of finishing the season in the top 10? Just food for thought.
Seems Pat Dye is up to his old drunken self still. Wait, he didn’t say anything racist or sexist? You say he only made a point that Rice shouldn’t have been nominated to the Bowl Selection Committee because she’s never so much as played a down of football? The heck you say? More…
Tell us what you think about these games by leaving a comment